|Ladislav Holy, who was Professor of Social Anthropology at the University
of St Andrews from 1987 until his untimely death in 1997, was instrumental
in the development of interpretive approaches in social anthropology in
the 1970s and 1980s.
His principal contribution to this development is found in the
University Papers in Social Anthropology, Vols. 1-4 (1976-1979) and
in two works edited/co-authored with the late Milan Stuchlik,
structure of folk models (1981) and Actions, norms and representations:
foundations of anthropological enquiry (1983).
Despite an enduring concern with general issues in the theory and praxis
of anthropology, Holy's writings were always informed and inspired by his
extensive fieldwork undertaken amongst the Berti of the Sudan and the Toka
of Zambia, as well as in the Czech Republic.
The Ladislav Holy Memorial Trust, which was set up in his memory as
an independent charitable trust, has provided conference funding and small
travel grants to assist students' field research.
Ladislav Holy was an academic of the old mode, combining the best in
British and continental approaches to scholarship, and never comfortable
with the audit culture prevelant in today's universities. It is hoped
that this web site will make the wealth of Holy's work more accessible
to his fellow social and cultural anthropologists, as well as to future
generations of students.
Ladislav Holy, social anthropologist
born Prague 4 April 1933
died Kingsbarns, Fife, Scotland 13 April 1997
* Assistant Keeper, Naprstek Museum, Prague, 1954-56
* Research Officer, Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences,
* Head of African Department, Czechoslovak Academy of
* Director, Livingstone Museum, Zambia, 1968-72
* Lecturer in Social Anthropology, Queen's University
* Senior Lecturer in Social Anthropology, Queen's University
* Reader in Social Anthropology, University of St Andrews,
* Professor of Social Anthropology, University of St
* Visiting Professor, Institute of Social Anthropology,
University of Oslo, 1994-95
married 1956 Alice Sucikova (died 1990)
married 1996 Kate Mortimer
source: The Independent, 18.4.1997